Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Digital Art...or the Art of Recycling - California Surfin'




ABOVE: I'm not really sure how I started making digital collages from my canvas paintings. The idea just came to me and I'm not sure what I was influenced by. Like many artists, influences are constantly coming into view and stored in the right brain lobe, and pinpointing the origins may not always be easy.

Anyway, I think this is an example of the Right Brain feeding the Left Brain because it involved going into a computer program, Photoshop in this case, and creating something not only artistically, but technically. Specifically what I did here was to digitally cut out parts of my different paintings and create a new composition. This one is called
California Surfin'.

BELOW: The X's mark digital "pieces" from six different paintings that I cut out and assembled the composition with. It's kind of like putting together a puzzle, which is what painting is to me anyway. So in that respect the thought process is similar.

BOTTOM: The arrow marks the gold and white area that I cut out to make what looks like the side of a head, with the ear and the "eye" shapes.

COMING UP: Over the next few weeks I will be working on a new composition in Photoshop, and will be publishing each week the progress until it is completed. I hope you enjoy it. Be safe and have a great New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment